Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Statement from Lee McGroarty

A supporter of 42nd Congressional candidate Lee McGroarty suggested that we purposefully didn't post Lee McGroarty's Memorial Day message but did post messages from Rep. Gary Miller and David Su. Apparently they didn't read our blog yesterday which said that we were not posting stories or comments on Memorial Day. Miller and Su sent out their messages before Monday. McGroarty's website didn't post the message until 15:44 (3:44pm) on Memorial Day.

Also, the McGroarty campaign is the only campaign of the four Republicans in the 42nd primary that does not send us emails and releases. Unless we go to there web site, we don't see their "news."

Since an allegation was made we wanted to explain why there was a delay in posting this.

Now to Lee McGroarty's Memorial Day message.

To continue reading click Read More below.



####
For those who may not know, my brother Pat and I joined the military after high school. My brother served 4 years in the Navy on the USS John F. Kennedy. I served for 6 years in the Air Force & CT Air National Guard. A few months ago, I attended the CPAC conference in Washington DC. One night at the hotel lounge, I met a gentleman named Michael Thornton. Mike seemed like a nice man but had this toughness about him. He was a "man's man". I mentioned I served in the Air Force and he said he served in Vietnam War as a Navy Seal. The next evening, Mike asked me to join he and a friend for a drink in the lounge. We talked about life, politics, our love for America and then he took my hand and handed me a coin. It was a beautiful coin with Mike's name and a medal. Immediately, I knew the medal and it's meaning. The Congressional Medal of Honor. Mike never once told me about his heroics, but I knew that I was in the company of an American hero. I was honored to receive Mike's coin and I've carried it every day during my campaign. As we celebrate Memorial Day, please know that American heroes are among us. America needs heroes and I am honored to have met a true hero that day. My prayers are with our Congressional Medal of Honor recipients and their families...and for all servicemen and women. God bless America.

For Michael Thornton's story, please visit Mike-Thornton.com. It is the story of an American hero!

This Memorial Day Weekend, let us remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation. As a veteran of our Armed Forces, I am honored and proud to have served. Liberty and freedom are worth defending! We must never forget that the United States stands as a beacon of hope around the world. To those men and women in harm's way, you are in our thoughts and prayers. God bless you, your families and our country. Happy Memorial Day to all Americans!
###

4 comments:

  1. Maybe Lee's campaign should concentrate more on going out in public or sending out mail than worrying about why a blog didn't carry their story.

    Lee appears to have gone into hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But it was a nice Memorial Day message from Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MV,
    You should read our post from last week where we looked at the 42nd race.

    http://threecornerspolitics.blogspot.com/2010/05/look-at-42nd-republican-race.html

    We mentioned how quiet the McGroarty campaign is.

    According to his last filing he has about $10,000 in the bank so I think we will see them do some kind of mail to part of the 42nd. Right now McGroarty is the only 42nd candidate I have seen not to send out campaign mail to the district. Of course he could just use the money to pay back the money he loaned his campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Lucky, apparently I'm not the only one who questioned Miller's military record. According to an article in Harper's Magazine (http://harpers.org/archive/2010/06/hbc-90007144) Ken Silverstein has the same questions. The article states "It turns out that Miller, who is on the Republican leadership team as assistant whip, also appears to have seriously inflated his military background. He hasn’t done so in as grand a manner as Richard Blumenthal, but the situation raises serious questions about his honesty (as if there weren’t enough already)."
    The article also states "“Congressman Miller volunteered to the U.S. Army and was Honorably Discharged due to medical reasons within a matter of months,” Jessica L. Baker, a spokeswoman, said in an email reply to questions about the matter."
    If Miller was discharged due to some injury, it doesn't detract from his intention to serve, but to use it as a political talking point as the article points out, "“It has been a tremendous honor to have served in the U.S. Army,” Miller wrote in a comment that accompanied the section about him, which said he was a private in 1967. “The American people owe their freedom and liberties to those who serve in the armed forces. They are indebted to those who have made the ultimate sacrifices for their country in previous world conflicts.” He added, “The leadership skills which I experienced in the U.S. Army allow me to take the lead on issues which promote a stronger defense.”", is disgraceful.
    Come on Miller, what leadership skills did you learn after only 7 weeks of boot camp? Once again Miller is re-writing history just as he has on his land deals, votes, campaign contributions, and eminent domain.
    I must confess, I never had the kind of bravery or self-sacrifice it takes to be a veteran, but I also never once claimed a kinship to those particular brave patriots. My opinion is that of a citizen and voter, but I'd really like to know what real veterans think of Miller's record. I find it particularly telling that Miller's website under the "BIO" section now doesn't make any reference to his military service though it did early in this campaign. WAY TO GO GARY!
    I call on your honesty Lucky and once again ask "HOW CAN YOU CONTINUE TO LET MILLER SLIDE ON ISSUES, WHILE CRITICIZING HIS OPPONENTS". WILL YOU AT LEAST JOIN IN CONDEMNING MILLER FOR THIS TRAVESTY?"

    ReplyDelete