Wednesday, April 21, 2010

An interview with David Su Part 1 of 3

We were fortunate to have been able to do an email interview with 42nd Congressional candidate David Su. I in no way edited any of Mr. Su's answers. I gave him my word that I would copy his answers just as he wrote them.

We will be running the rest of the interview over several days this week.

Su is challenging Rep. Gary Miller, Phil Liberatore and Lee McGroarty for the Republican nomination in the 42nd Congressional district.

Click Read More to continue.





TCP: Why are you running for Congress?

DS:I felt convicted to run because I feel that no one has the courage to do the right thing anymore. Those who want to do the right thing can’t, because they have so much to lose. They have a lot investments, family, business, they owe people favors and are tied with special interest groups etc. I don’t have those things, therefore I have nothing to lose, and if one has nothing to lose, then one has nothing to fear.

After President Barack Obama was elected into office I began to ask myself, what just happened? Why did my party lose? I started to reflect and realized that the GOP was complacent. We thought that the control we had was going to last forever in, the house, the senate, and the Presidency. We were so unorganized and dropped the ball. I began to reflect some more and during my time to myself, I started to review one of the greatest GOP president’s of all time President Ronald Regan. In one of his speeches, he stated, “You must ask yourself are you better off than you were four years ago?” then it hit me. I asked that same question to myself during the present time and the answer was no.

My party had eight years to accomplish our platform of lowering taxes, limiting government, tackling the social issues on same sex marriage, outlawing abortion, and reforming healthcare, but in the end all the GOP did was increase taxes, increase government, and did nothing to come up with solutions on how to solve the social problems that this nation faces. We got distracted with special interest groups and big business which led to congressional corruption, complacency, and apathy for public service. The leaders that were elected forgot why they were there.

I was really disappointed because it’s frustrating, as a young conservative to see leaders that are suppose to set the example for the next generation to fall into corruption and apathy for America. I asked myself, what can I possibly do? Shall I remain complacent too? Shall I just live my life and let the problems linger thinking someone will come up with the solutions? I knew the answer to these questions and the answer is this, I have to run, because the fate of the GOP counts on it. I am here to not only do the right thing, but to represent a voice for the upcoming generation, for my generation, and to dispel all the myths about the party that it is all about helping out the rich, being white, being old, being racist, being tied with big business and having an elitist attitude.

I felt, if no one is going to take ownership of the problems we are facing today, if no one is going to have the courage, the will, the determination of the American spirit to take on Congressional corruption, improve the quality of life for all Americans, especially middle class America, small business and actually accomplish our platform of lowering taxes and limiting government, then it might as well be me. I know people are struggling right now and the American people are shouting out on the top of their lungs and no one is listening. I know, because I am one of them.

Besides all of this, my final goal would be to help the GOP rebuild, to change the attitude of the party in how it represents itself. It’s time for the Republican Party to be the bigger party and take responsibility, but also create accountability for the actions of our members and representatives.

I feel that the Republican Party needs new blood, needs a fresh perspective from a young conservative, they need innovation on how to reach out to the youth and they will need someone in Congress who overall is going to do the right thing and serve with passion, empathy, and with integrity. I know it’s time for new leadership, a new face, for a new generation.

Final note, I am a Christian and prayed about this on and off for six months. Two weeks before January 1st, is when I decided to run. I was convicted by God to run for office and that’s good enough for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment